3 February 2009

Hydro Glossary - Under Development

I believe that to understand a subject, one also has to speak the language. This means, when somebody wants to understand hydroelectric/hydropower, he or she has to know general important terms of hydroelectric. Because of that, my personal project now is putting all the important (at least from my point of view) terms in one big list. For that I rely on the Internet.

I was looking for a website or websites that contains important hydropower or hydroelectric glossary of terms. I did find an interesting one from Canada. It has approximately 200 hydro related terms and they are covering general terms from many different aspects of hydro power (e.g. civil structure, mechanical electrical, hydrology etc.). This website (http://www.hydro.mb.ca) provides easy to understand definitions of each term so that a novice in hydroelectricity can understand the terms relatively easy.

However, I need more than those provided by the Canadians. I searched the Internet and found a web page of IEC. It is called Electropedia. It does not discuss exclusively hydroelectric but there are some general terms (i.e. generation, distribution) that are closely related to hydroelectric. I believe that when it comes from IEC, the definitions are acceptable by all experts. In search for a complete hydroelectric glossary of terms, I use some definitions from Electropedia.

Beside those two websites, I use the help of Wikipedia. Most of the time, Wiki can provide me exact definition of any term typed. However, there are times that I have to conclude or take a part of the explanation in order to define one specific term.

The list is still growing and I plan to add pictures of related definitions. When I am done with it, I am going to upload it to the Internet. Hope it's useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment