8 September 2008

Philip Essential or Osram Mini Twist?

I started filling in my little house back in late 2005. First thing that I bought was lamps. I like warm white color (2700 Kelvin) lamps. I chose Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFL) from Osram brand. Osram in Indonesia imported CFL from China. Osram offers one year guarantee if anything happen to the lamp (not including breaking because you drop it). I bought 15 CFL at that time an only 2 of them broke down before 1 year. The rest still operates until now (mid 2008 that means they operate almost 3 years) although there is degradation in the brightness.

The yellowish color of the lamp has a warm effect to the room and create particular "warm" feeling to the body. Temperature seems to be higher than outside temperature despite the many openings the house. Because of that, I changed some of the lamps with daylight white color lamps. I bought Philips because normal simple store nearby do not sell Osram. I bought the small Genie type and it broke down after two days. Philips does not give guarantee as Osram does so I could not return the lamp to the store. I suspected the voltage fluctuation is the source of lamp failure. Genie cannot stand voltage fluctuation as Osram. I also tried the Essential type of Philips that has broader voltage range (170-240 V). This Essential type lasts longer that the Genie type.

So, finally I get bored with warm white color and I decided to change all the lamps with day light color (4000-6500 K). There are two choices: Philips Essential or Osram Mini Twist. Essential has traditional design of CFL while Mini Twist has a twist design. I observed that the twist design (from any CFL producers) gives better distribution of lights. Traditional design (straight U tubes) left some darker spots in the room. The Essential is proven to be able to stand the wide voltage fluctuation but is has lower luminous efficacy. Philips Essential has 58 lumen per watt while the Osram has 64 lumen per watt. This means the Osram is more energy efficient. The problem is that Mini Twist does not have a wide operation voltage (220-240 V). I am afraid this mini twist cannot stand the voltage fluctuation in my area.

So, right now I am still testing the Mini Twist. It is more energy efficient, has one year guarantee (replacement for lamps failure), it is brighter, light is better distributed but it has narrow band of operation voltage. Taking Osram gives me better option because if the mini twist fails, I still can replace the lamps with other type of Osram and anyway all CFL sold in Indonesia from big brands are coming from China. Basically I have no choice...

1 comment:

  1. Let me know your test... I'm dealing the same problems here. I use Phillip Essential 14w - 18w all around my house and were last only a year max.

    ReplyDelete