1 July 2008

There is a limit of being "green"

I joined a mailing list called "Green Lifestyle" sometimes ago. This mailing list have quite unique mix of members but most of them are fanatics of being "green". Being green means do as little as possible harms to the environment. Because of this spirit there are often questions that make me laugh for example:
  1. what the "greenest" cooking oil
  2. is the electric scooter "green"
  3. etc.

Some of the members replied such questions with a statement "why are you so paranoid?" (I like you guys!!!). I also think that those who post such questions are paranoid. I am on the opinion that we cannot 100% being "green". There area always chances in our actions that can harm the environment (sometimes, I am thinking that because of my sarcastic comments my replies in the mailing list never showed up).

For example the cooking oil issue. In my reply I wrote "do not fry then, steam it, it is healthier. but maybe you will think that cooking using LPG is releasing greenhouse gases then it is better you do not cook or the best is you do not eat at all". I also on the opinion that if one wants to be "green" one must reduce consumption, being naked, self sustaining, not using "made tools" (because making tools are using energy that maybe release harmful substances to the environment).

So, being green is limited. One can maximize his/her greeness by limiting consumption. I believe nature is capable of balancing the load. It is the right of human to utilize anything given on earth. Being extremely "green" is making joke of God's power. I do not oppose being green. I am trying everyday, but I am not reduculing my self by asking "paranoid" questions. Being green is the matter of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment